L-Glutamine is an amino acid that the body can create by itself when the body is healthy. It is mostly found in the blood with a concentration in the blood of about 500/900 μmd/L. It plays a role in stimulating the secretion of growth hormone and helps strengthen the immune system. Also, it is a precursor to the production of Glutathione in the body which helps in anti-oxidation, protects cells from free radical damage, and inhibits the production of enzymes Tyrosinase, the initiator of melanin production, thus helps in skintone whitening.
Glutamine contains enough nitrogen for the body and can deliver to the body faster than any other amino acid. It contributes to the treatment of many diseases and injuries that the body needs protein to repair. Glutamine can create any types of protein for the body. Due to its enough remaining nitrogen, amino acids can be created in time and protein can be transported from one place to another as the body needs. Moreover, glutamine helps in providing important nutrients such as glutathione, glucosamine, and vitamin B3 to the body as well. Therefore, L-Glutamine is very important to our body.
The benefits of enough glutamine in the body are as follows :
- Boost Growth Hormone : Glutamine stimulates the secretion of growth hormone 4 times, helping the body to repair itself effectively while sleeping, resulting in helping the body to relax, reducing stress and better sleep. Growth hormone is stored in the pituitary gland and released while sleeping, exercising and intaking restricted food. Growth hormone is good for the body by helping to burn fat and turn fat into energy and muscle, increasing resistance to various diseases, accelerating wound healing, helping tissue repair, increasing the strength of connective tissue which make the tendons that hold muscles and bones become stronger, increase protein synthesis involved in muscle building, and reduce the amount of urea in the urine.
- Enhance glutathione : Glutamine is a precursor to the synthesis of glutathione. Glutathione is an antioxidant that is created in our liver from three amino acids; cysteine, glutamic acid, and glycine, protects cells throughout the body including organ tissues and helps prevent cancer. Glutathione works like an energy booster for the immune system which helps the body in disposing heavy metals and drugs, prevent the harmful effects of light radiation, smoking and drinking, and reduces arthritis and allergy. Glutathione is dubbed as an anti-aging amino acid to the power of three because it contains three peptides and synthesized from three amino acids: L-cysteine, L-glutamic acid, and glycine. It has been found to be an antioxidant that has been found in fighting free radicals which accelerate the aging process, brightening the skintone, reducing wrinkles, slowing down aging skin.
- Make brain sharp : Glutamine is a precursor to the production of neurotransmitters containing glutamate and GABA (Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid) which play important roles in the learning and memory processes of the brain, help to be smarter (can add IQ even in children with intellectual disabilities), and help in emotional balancing. GABA is a non-essential amino acid, found in the human brain and eyes. It acts to inhibit the activity of other nerve cells and helps to control motions It is a substance that helps to relax and reduce tension. It's also known as a brain's natural calming agent and quality sleep.
- Heal wounds : Glutamine helps wounds heal faster. For those who have surgery or people who are stressed which make the body unable to produce enough glutamine resulting in unable to heal wounds, muscle tissue and to maintain a strong immune system. Taking glutamine can help prevent these problems, the body does not have to pull out the reserving muscles and amino acid fibers in the body because it may cause the body to lack of protein tissues. It maintains a balance of amino acid level, accelerates the healing of wounds, burns and blister, and helps restore the health of patients after all types of surgeries.
- Strengthen and prevent the breakdown of muscles : Glutamine is an amino acid that is an important structure of muscles and reduces the amount of lactic acid that causes muscle fatigue during work or exercise. It helps the body to build muscle tissue and produce glycogen as an energy reserve as well. When the body has enough glycogen, the breakdown of muscle tissue into energy is less. The amino acids also cause the body to secrete more growth hormone which help to build more muscles.
- Increase immune system : Glutamine is the fuel for white blood cells to work better which increase immune system. It is the body's primary source of energy for the immune system. When we are in stress, injury or surgery, the need for Glutamine has increased exponentially.
- Increase nutrient absorption: Glutamine will help make the digestive system strong like any other nutrients. It helps the intestines absorb nutrients better, repair the lining of the intestinal wall and treat canker sores in the digestive tract.
Age, stressful fast paced life, and lack of sleep cause the glutamine in the bloodstream to drop by more than 50 percent and it takes the body 6-10 days to create new glutamine. However, it can be found in natural food sources such as beef, chicken, pork, fish, milk, eggs, cabbage, butter, yogurt, nuts, spinach, and parsley, etc. These days, glutamine is synthesized and extracted into the form of a dietary supplement which is very easy and convenient for people to consume to have enough of glutamine in their body.