Grape Seed Extract is a popular dietary supplement among health lovers especially women who want to be healthy and beauty due to its high effective antioxidant. Studies found that grape seed extract is effectively in antioxidant 50 times more than vitamin E and 20 times more than vitamin C, making it a “Super Antioxidant”. With the ORAC (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) for measuring the ability of antioxidant, grape seed extract has a very high score of 12,500 units. It is a group of bioflavonoids, called Proanthocyanidin, and when combined will be in the form of "Oligomeric Proanthocyanidins” or "OPCs" in short, which is highly effective in health care.
Benefits of Grape Seed Extract :
- Improve skin condition, maintain firmness, reduce deep wrinkles : One of the causes of skin aging is free radicals. Research has shown that grape seed extract with high OPCs can bind to free radicals that destroy skin cells better than vitamins C and E. It also helps strengthen connective tissues, especially “collagen” in the skin layer and protect the collagen fibers in the skin layer including Collagenase and Elastase not to be destroyed. As a result, the skin remains flexible, strong, smooth, without wrinkles, deep grooves, and dryness. In addition, when eating continuously, it also reduces the production of skin pigment, making blemishes and freckles fade as well as have skin brighter and more radiant.
- Prevent varicose veins : Grape seed extract with high OPCs has special benefit in combining with collagen of the vascular wall such as Elastic Fiber that makes blood vessels have better biochemical form, increase strength and flexibility to the blood vessels. It also prevents free radicals to damage the walls of blood vessels, help strengthen capillaries not brittle or easily broken, prevents blood vessels from deteriorating and leaking which is the cause of varicose veins problem. As a result, it relieves varicose veins or aneurysms especially on the calf and help treat chronic peripheral vascular disorders.
- Stimulates the circulatory system : High doses of OPCs are very effective in stimulating the circulatory system by inhibiting the adhesion of cholesterol on the walls of blood vessels. It also improves the efficiency of connective tissue and the strength of blood vessels. As a result, blood pressure is normal. Studies have shown that OPCs can prevent the bad cholesterol (LDL Cholesterol) from being oxidized, thus helping to prevent heart failure and fat clots in the blood vessels.
- Controlling blood sugar levels : Diabetics tend to have less insulin caused by the pancreas not producing enough of this hormone including the cause of insulin in the body malfunction. From the experiment, it was found that grape seed extract has a significant reduction in blood sugar levels. It also helps prevent beta cells which is a cell in the pancreas that is responsible for the hormone insulin to control sugar levels in the body.
- Help slow down the occurrence of cataracts and macular degeneration : Especially in diabetic patients, the eyeball is the organ with the most delicate capillaries and the retina is the part that needs a lot of blood vessel flow for nourishment. From research on the effectiveness of grape seed extract on the eyes, it was found that it can help reduce eye strain and the deterioration of the eyes from the destruction of free radicals because OPCs help fight free radicals and help strengthen the blood vessels in the eyes. Therefore, it can prevent the deterioration of the retina, especially in diabetic patients who often have deteriorating capillary problems because their blood sugar level is too high. It also prevents the deterioration of the eyes especially with the symptom of a cataract and helps to improve the visibility in the dark.
- Prevents dementia : OPCs is soluble in both water and oil. It can pass through the Blood Brain Barrier, thus being able to destroy free radicals that will attack brain cells which is the cause of dementia.